Why You Need a Monitor
A studio monitor is no ordinary loudspeaker. Unlike a conventional speaker, a true monitor must be unerringly accurate, with a flat frequency response and vanishingly low distortion. It has to tell you, the music producer— dependably and unquestionably—exactly what is or is not in your recording. In a studio-grade monitor speaker, there is no place for the usual list of speaker colorations and limitations prevalent in conventional loudspeakers. Response peaks\dips, uneven polar response, high THD, nasal midrange, bloated mid-bass, and crossover-induced phase incoherence do nothing but undermine the confidence demanded for superior mix performance.
Introducing M-Audio’s BX8-D3 monitors—the return of a studio icon and the successor to the industry-renowned BX D2 monitors. Trusted by recording/mix engineers and composers globally, M-Audio’s BX monitors guarantee absolute surgical precision and repeatable engineering excellence.
Listen with confidence: with M-Audio’s BX8-D3 studio reference monitors, you’ll hear everything in lifelike detail, so your mixes and recordings will sound their best!
Monitor Performance Starts with Driver Excellence
A monitor’s drivers are the heart and soul of its performance. Driving the low-end and midrange, BX8-D3’s 8-inch military-grade Kevlar® woofers are rigid and lightweight, delivering outstanding transient response whist negating unwanted “cone breakup.” BX8- D3’s treated silk dome tweeter provides the perfect combination of low mass and the absence of audible resonances that plague conventional tweeters. Together, the BX drivers deliver critical detail, nuance and dynamic accuracy, so your mixes have the veracity and transparency you demand.
More Than Just an Enclosure
With M-Audio’s BX8-D3, every detail has been meticulously engineered with one goal in mind – to facilitate the freedom to mix with confidence. BX8-D3 monitors have a rear- mounted bass port, meticulously engineered to the exact length and diameter. The result? Deep, defined bass response with maximum bass extension and resolution. When combined with a smoothly-flared port, BX8-D3 monitors markedly reduce theaudibly-intrusive air turbulence that results when bass is played back at high sound pressure levels (SPLs). BX8-D3’s tweeter is mounted in a custom waveguide for reliably accurate dispersion that eliminates unwanted high-frequency “scatter,” whilst ensuring a soundstage that remains consistently wide and stable. For seamless setup and easy-location of the optimum listening position, the BX8-D3’s front-mounted positioning LED shines brightly when you’re located in the perfect listening spot, for uncompromisingly accurate and reliable critical evaluations. Finally, BX8-D3’s iconic design on the front panel—M-Audio’s famous “keyhole” shape—is more than just an attractive look: This special “fastenerless” design ensures so there are no driver attachment screw heads to interfere with the sound coming from our drivers.
High-Current, High Headroom Class A/B Bi-Amplified Power
Efficient and accurate: Driving the BX8-D3 monitors are two Class A/B internal amplifiers that power the woofer and tweeter separately – each optimised for the specific frequency range it handles and engineered to complement the characteristics of its companion driver. A precision-tuned crossover guarantees each driver only handles the frequencies that it produces most efficiently for a sound that is cohesive across the entire frequency spectrum. Play louder with less audible distortion: The BX8-D3 bi-amplified design is a far more efficient and accurate way to power a loudspeaker than using a single full-range amplifier to drive multiple driver elements.
At M-Audio, we understand no two listening spaces are the same. Therefore, the BX8- D3 monitors custom tailors your sound to your environment, so you will always experience sonically-true, reassuringly-accurate sound reproduction. Negate problematic bass frequencies and limit the impact of nuisance standing waves thanks to BX8-D3’s special Acoustic Space control for precise adjustment of BX8-D3’s sound output in line with your studio space.
Whatever your needs, the BX8-D3 Studio monitors guarantee to assimilate into your existing setup with ease. Combining conveniently-located, rear-mounted XLR and 1/4- inch balanced inputs, BX8-D3 connects to virtually all studio equipment including audio interfaces, mixers, DJ gear and more.
It’s Far More Than The Sum of Its Parts
M-Audio’s BX8-D3 monitors excel in every way, the rightful successor to the original studio icon. Fusing superb drivers, meticulously engineered enclosures, great-sounding amplifiers, versatile control options and standardized connection facilities, BX8-D3 delivers sound quality you can trust.
- Bi-amplified design with 150 watts (80 LF, 70 HF) for powerful, accurate sound
- 8” Kevlar low-frequency driver with high-temp voice coil and damped rubber surround
- 1.25” natural silk dome tweeter delivers superb transient details
- Computer-optimized tweeter waveguide for precise imaging
- Acoustic Space Control to fine-tune low-end response to your room
- Optimized rear port for extended low-frequency response
- XLR balanced and 1/4” balanced/unbalanced inputs for connecting audio interfaces, mixers, synthesizers, DJ gear, and more
- Volume control enables you to dial in the perfect monitor playback level
- Wide range 37-22kHz frequency response covers full musical spectrum
- Woofer: 8 “woofer (203 mm) 70 W with Kevlar membrane
- Amplifier: 150W RMS bi-amp Class A / B power amp
- Maximum level: 114 dB
- Crossover: 1900 Hz
- Further sound adjustments: Acoustic Space
- Frequency range: 37 – 22,000 Hz
- Inputs: balanced XLR input, balanced jack input
- Input sensitivity: 85 mV input signal (pink noise) produces 96 dBA output level (sound pressure level at 1 m and maximum volume)
- Maximum input level: +21 dBu
- Input impedance: balanced 10 kOhm, 20 kOhm unbalanced
- Protection Circuits: Overheat, Transient and Subsonic Protection Circuit, Output Current Limiters, Shielded for RF Interference, On Delay
- Controls: Volume control, Acoustic Space switch
- Housing: vinyl-coated MDF
- Power consumption: 150 W
- Power supply: internal power supply 100 – 120 V / 220 – 240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions: 384 x 250 x 302 mm
- Weight: 11 kg
- Including acoustic foam pads